A Brief Manual On Igniting A Satori
Have you ever had a satori? [pronounced – suh-tawr-ee] The chances are you have and may not have been aware of it.
A satori is like an instant awakening, or a brief moment of enlightenment, where things become clear, or you have a deep realization.
Anyone can have a satori at any time and on any given subject. There are a few ways you induce such events to perhaps give you that creative spark that you need in that moment.
– It can happen in any situation — whenever you fall in tune with the whole – Osho
You’ve seen it in the movies; when the hero is stuck in a rut and in a moment of relaxation, or releasing, the light bulb switches on and BAM, they have their awakening.
If you’ve ever looked at them and thought, why can’t I have that? Well, the answer is simple, you can!
Most people associate the word ‘satori’ as something spiritual and only things that people who meditate can have; that’s rubbish!
Firstly, I believe anything can be spiritual to you. A business, a sport, whatever! We, as humans, should now be way beyond the paradigm of petty judgement.
The only 3 important things are:
1. Knowing how to have a satori.
2. Inducing it at will.
3. Acting on whatever realizations you have.
As I briefly mentioned earlier a satori is any kind of instant awakening. A split second of inspiration that could possibly turn you into the next Paulo Cohelo or lead to the next evolution of social networking beyond Twitter and Facebook.
However you choose to define it, most people don’t know how do induce these events deliberately. Often, they only happen accidentally when they’re taking a pee or doing the weekly shop. Sometimes there is no beating those natural instances; they happen at exactly the right moment for you.
But like anything else, the more you have, the law of averages states that sooner or later one of those is going to be a hit.
If you’re new to this concept just think back to any moment in your life where you’ve been inspired, you come up with a new business idea, you’ve invented something new, you’ve written a Pulitzer prize winning piece, you’ve thought of a new joke, you’ve experienced a moment of spiritual enlightenment. etc.
All of these moments could be classed as a satori and it’s your job in life to create as many of those moments as you can. Do the things that get you into a trance like state.
Here are some very simple ways you can do this.
1. The top tip today is read plenty of blogs like this or by other people. Very often, while perusing them, I have a satori.
2. Go to a place of elevation. Literally go walk up a hill and check out the scenery. Allow yourself to get lost in thought and in that meditative state allow satori to happen naturally.
3. Do something you wouldn’t normally do or don’t like. This is essential because when you do this you’ll be forced to see the world differently and this the fastest way to trigger a satori.
4. Stare out of a window and watch the world go by. I was literally doing that when I came up with the idea of writing that down! I’m fairly certain some of the best ideas in the world were conceived that way! 🙂 If you were working in an office you’d probably get chastised for it but in reality is should be classed as creative time!
5. Fiddle with a pen or some other object. Keeping your body occupied this way takes away the attention of things going on with your body freeing up your mental capacity to go into ‘right brain’ mode.
I hope I’ve gone some way to helping reach a place you can have a satori at any time. If you do after reading this leave me a comment and let me know. Many of the people who comment here will also be able to give awesome guidance on such matters.